It is important to be involved in decisions about your life. When you choose what you want to do you can live a more enjoyable life.
You have the right to make choices and decisions about:
- Where you live
- Relationships you have
- Types of work/volunteering you do
- Trying new things
- How to be healthy and safe
There may be times when people will make decisions for you. It is important to remember to get involved and make your voice heard around decisions involving you.
- Decisions Decisions Decisions is a short video clip from SpeakOutAdvocacy about getting involved in your decision making and choices.
- 10 Self-Advocacy Tips for Young People with Disabilities is a short video clip made by INCLUDEnyc that covers important self-advocacy tips for young people with disabilities.
For parents and caregivers
- Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital created an Advocacy Tool Kit as a guide for parents of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder or other neurodevelopmental disorders on how to develop advocacy skills.